The UMass Lowell Libraries
have established these policies in order to be in compliance with United States
copyright law. Title 17 of the U.S. Code may be viewed at the Office
of Law Revision Counsel.
Please review our Reserves policies.
- Items being placed on Reserve must be accompanied by the
reserves form with instructor's name, course information and item
- Items may be placed on Reserve at any time during the semester but
will take two weeks to process. Bringing Reserves items to the Access
Services department earlier than two weeks in advance is encouraged
- If the Library does not own an item needed for reserve, the
faculty member may either contact the librarian liaison to the
department or place a request through the Access Services department.
Your request will be processed as a rush order for reserve. Please
allow a least 60 days.
- Personal copies of books may be placed on Reserve.
- No more than one copy of photocopied articles per 25 students in a
class may be placed on Reserve.
- Items obtained through Interlibrary Loan may not be placed on
- No more than 25 photocopies and/or 25 books or other media items
per course for a limit of 50 items total may be placed on Reserve.
- No more than one chapter of a particular book may be photocopied
and placed on Reserve.
- No more than 5 articles from one journal title published in the
past five years may be placed on Reserve.
- All photocopies will be stamped with a copyright notice.
- Photocopies may remain on reserve for one semester only.
- Any item not in compliance with copyright law will be returned to
the faculty member.
- Personal copies and photocopies must be retrieved within two weeks
of the end of the semester After that time, they will be delivered
to the department office.