"Reserves" refers to items that a faculty member has set aside for use in a particular course. They are kept separate from the general collection and have a short loan period in order to provide the most access to the materials to the greatest number of people. Reserve materials include items from the Library’s collections, professors’ personal copies of books or CDs, and folders containing photocopies. The loan period for Reserves is usually two hours. Some items on reserve have a loan period of 24 hours. Scanners are available in the libraries to copy Reserve materials. A UMass Lowell ID (UCARD) or a UML issued library card accompanied by a photo ID is required for borrowing Reserve material. Up to three items may be borrowed at a time.
- Information for Faculty
- Looking Up Reserves
- Using Reserves
- Overdue, Lost or Damaged Reserves
- Need More Information?
Reserves at UML are listed in our online catalog.
- Find the item you want to use by selecting the Course Reserves tab.
- Select either your Instructor's name, the Department, or the Course to see what is on reserve for that class.
- Note the call number for the item(s) you wish to borrow.
- Reserves are located at the Circulation Desks at O'Leary and Lydon Libraries.
- A staff member will retrieve the item(s) and check them out to you. You must have your UML (UCARD) ID or a UML issued library card accompanied by a photo ID with you. (Drivers' licenses alone are not acceptable.) When you have finished with the reserve item(s), return them to the desk and a staff member will discharge the item(s).
- Up to three items may be borrowed at a time.
- Some items may be available electronically. Electronic Reserves will have a link to the article in the catalog.
Overdue, Lost or Damaged Reserves
Overdue fines for course reserves are $0.25 per hour per item. If an overdue item is not returned within seven days, it is presumed lost and we begin the process to replace it. For a lost or damaged reserve item, you must pay the cost of the replacement plus a processing fee (books $65.00 + $25.00; photocopies $20.00 + $10.00), and the accumulated fine.
If you have questions about reserves or reserves policies, please call:
- Lydon Library, Circulation: (978) 934-3205
- O'Leary Library, Circulation: (978) 934-4550
[ Top of page ]