Immigrant Separation in Centralville


The maps below are extracts from the city atlases published in 1879, 1896, and 1924. The store locations are from the Lowell City Directories of 1880, 1903, and 1930, shortly after the map was published. Click on the year to see the map associated with that year. Click on "cycle" continuously to see each year in succession.

1880 1903 1930 Cycle years
  1880 grocery store owners (map from 1879)
Map of lower Centerville with dots showing grocery locations in 1880
  1903 grocery store owners (map from 1896)
Map of lower Centerville with dots showing grocery locations in 1903
  1930 grocery store owners (map from 1924)
Map of lower Centerville with dots showing grocery locations in 1931
Google overlay
Modern map overlay showing streets in lower Centerville
Legend for meaning of map colors. Red=immigrants Blue=Yankees Yellow=corporate

You may notice that the maps don't line up perfectly. Technology hadn't yet reached the level we expect with satellite mapping. See an overlay adapted from Google maps. It's not surprising that the most recent map (1931) lines up best. However, even the Google map has limitations; for example, it doesn't show the varying widths of streets because it needs room to put street names.

A significant change in the roads in this part of Lowell was the addition of a wide parkway along the river (called VFW Highway at this point). Front Street and its houses were removed and most connecting streets between Lakeview and the road by the river were blocked off

Get details of ownership by returning to the main page for 165 Lakeview7 and select the "Print Story" button.