27 Loring Street
27 Loring Street
This building, bounded by Loring, Grove and Manahan Street comprises eight thousand square feet. According to a description in The Lowell Neighborhood Survey the building is recognized for its various Gothic Revival features. Its history can be traced back to the 1870s, when representatives of the three Methodist Churches in Lowell sought to establish a new parish in the city’s Highland section. This would be the first Methodist Church in the Highlands area, although Methodists had s presence in the city as early as the 1820s.
In March 1875, the Highland Methodist Episcopal Church was formally organized and in June 1876 the church at 27 Loring Street was dedicated. The building, which reportedly had cost $4,800, was called “one of the most attractive in the city.” . It occupied “a position of much importance in one of the most beautiful and most rapidly increasing parts of the city and meet the wants of this thriving and attractive section of Lowell.” .
In December 1919, after negotiating for over a year, the Highland Methodist Episcopal Church and the Worthen Street Church joined in a single congregation named the Highland Union Methodist Episcopal Church. The Worthen Street Church, originally the Wesley Chapel, had formed after a split within the St. Paul’s Methodist Church over the issue of slavery. In 1884 the Worthen Street Church had over 10,000 members and was referred to by its pastor, Reverend N.T. Whittaker as “a revival church,” “remarkable for her harmonious, benevolent and progressive spirit” .
From the records of Registry of Deeds it can be determined that in November 1980 the Highland Union Methodist Episcopal Church deeded this property to St. Paul's
United Methodist Church. A month later, the Ebenezeth Christian Pentecostal Church purchased the building from St. Paul’s. The Ebenezeth Christian Pentecostal
Church formed in 1977 by a group of Hispanic Christians. Its first pastor, Reverend Alfredo Maldonado, resigned in 1982 and was replaced by Reverend Jose U.
Rivera. Rivera was affiliated with the Pentecostal Christian Church Movement.
The Lowell church continued with this affiliation until 1990 when members voted to disaffiliate and become an independent body. Nine years later the church agreed to join the Spanish Eastern District Council of the Assemblies of God and thereafter changed its name to the Iglesia Cristian Ebenezer Asambleas de Dios. Since then the number of congregants has grown to nearly 200.
During an April 2008 visit to the church and discussion with the current pastor Reverend Cecilio Hernandez, it was determined that Hernandez had prepared a
history of the church. According to Reverend Hernandez church members in 2008 come from several Lowell neighborhoods and are mainly Hispanic population originally
from Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic, Colombia, Guatemala, and El Salvador. According to Hernandez although they have different cultures, “They get along
pretty well in the church.”
In the future Hernandez hopes that the church can build greater collaborations with other groups in the city, especially among local non-profit organizations and the city’s large Southeastern Asian community.
References for this story (in PDF) are available by selecting the "Print Story" button above.
There is no Address History of immigrants for this address because no one ever lived there.