CENTER FOR LOWELL HISTORY UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS LOWELL LIBRARIES

Home     Digital Photographs     Genealogy Resources     Special Collections     Search
 
THE GREATER LOWELL Y W C A:
ONE HUNDRED YEARS OF SERVICE AND ADVOCACY 1891 -1991
 
"We never close" is the slogan that might be placed outside the Young Women's Christian Association, for there is no hour of the day or night, weekdays or Sundays, when a woman or girl could notfind entrance to the building .. Travelers stranded late at night, girls turned out of home, strangers from across the water, have been welcomed to theftiendliness of the place. Then, if the Association cannot give all that a girl needs, it sees that she is brought in touch with someone who can.
"Lowell Telegraph," May 25,1913 

From its earliest days in the city, the YWCA addressed the concerns of low-income women, providing residential, educational, health, and recreational programs.  In 1905, the YWCA proudly opened the doors of its new building on John Street. This facility offered secure lodging at nominal fees to women working, studying, or seeking seeking temporary shelter.  It also provided a gymnasium and a spacious dining room open to the public.  In 1976, the YWCA moved to its present location at 206 Rogers Street, formerly Rogers Hall, an historic girls'school.  This "campus facility" includes administrative offices, classrooms, day-care and youth centers, a gymnasium and playground, as well as a residence for women seeking a comfortable, affordable and secure place to live.  From this base, as well as from program sites in the Acre neighborhood of Lowell and in other communities, the YWCA works to provide services and to empower women and children, often in coalition with other organizations.
 

  

Top Of Page    Previous Page or Next Page