Home Digital Photographs Genealogy Resources Special Collections Search
| Jack occasionally wrote
articles for various New York publications or was hired as a guide for
a hunting party. For the most part, however, he and Josephine were
in semi-retirement. They enjoyed Lowell so much that they bought
Suffolk Hall, at the corner of Market and Suffolk Streets (where Charlie's
Corner and the Contakos Bar are presently located). At the time,
Suffolk Hall was a three story structure: the first floor was composed
of storefronts, the second floor was the hall, while the third contained
apartments. Whenever they were out of town, Angelina Morlacchi took
care of both Suffolk Hall and the farmhouse (which they now referred to
as "the summer home").
End of the Trail
By the spring of 1880, they decided to tour Colorado.
Jack had been interested in the new silver-mining boom town of Leadville.
Both had a small troupe touring the area. Due to the high elevation
and poor air quality Jack caught a cold, which developed into pneumonia.
After the furneral, Josephine returned to Lowell. Once in a great while, the Peerless Morlacchi danced in small productions iin Lowell, but she never again toured. She taught dancing and volunteered her time and services to the community. The one goal which she never managed to accomplish was to open a dancing school for the mill girls.
Her sister, Angelina,
suffered a stroke and subsequent paralysis. Josephine cared for her
until Angelina's death August 18, 1885. Not long afterwards, Josephine
was bedridden with stomach cancer and died on July 23,1886, far from her
birthplace and with no family at all, although she did have many friends.
Both sisters are buried at St. Patrick's Cemetery in Lowell.
Very special thanks to Dennis and Julie Greene
Photos Courtesy of the Dennis J. and Julie Greene
Top Of Page Previous Page or The Beginning