CENTER FOR LOWELL HISTORY UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS LOWELL LIBRARIES

Home     Digital Photographs     Genealogy Resources     Special Collections     Search
 
PERSPECTIVES AND VISIONS: 
ONE HUNDRED YEARS OF LOWELL'S COLLEGE OF EDUCATION
 
Dr. O'Leary strove for and attained full accreditation for the college, making a tremendous academic advance.  In 1959, the school was empowered to offer curriculum in Secondary Education.  (By 1964, programs in specialized disciplines leading to degrees in that field were in place.)  State Teachers College was renamed Massachusetts State College in 1960.   The next year a Liberal Arts degree program was offered for the first time.  Beginning in 1967, the school was authorized to confer two more degrees: Master of Education and Master of Music Education.

     Lowell State College and Lowell Technological
Institute merged in 1975 to become the University
of Lowell, a multi-purpose institution.  The roots of
the former Lowell Tech stretch back to the
founding of a school for textile studies in 1895.  The
College of Education was relocated to new campus,
the West Campus, after the University acquired a
tract of land in North Chelmsford.  The property
was the site of the old Middlesex County Training
School.  The aged building, stately trees, and
spacious lawns offer a restful, dignified setting, 
befitting the oldest Lowell foundation of the University.

     In 1991, the University was reorganized as one of the five components of the University of Massachusetts.  The College of Education remains one of the six colleges within the University of Massachusetts Lowell.  Presently, the College is a graduate school.  All entering students must hold a a baccalaureate degree.  Incoming students enter an Initial Certification Program to qualify them to teach in public schools is in operation in temporary

Geography Class, 1899

 
Top Of Page  Previous Page or Next Page