CENTER FOR LOWELL HISTORY UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS LOWELL LIBRARIES

Home     Digital Photographs     Genealogy Resources     Special Collections     Search
 
PERSPECTIVES AND VISIONS: 
ONE HUNDRED YEARS OF LOWELL'S COLLEGE OF EDUCATION
 
After the name change, Clarence M. Weed continued as the top administration under the title of president. 

     During the Weed administration a three-year course in elementary education became standard.  Later, this was extended to four years.  In 1932, the baccalaureate degree of Bachelor of Science in Education was conferred on 18 graduates.
 

"Even in the era of the 'flapper,' rigorous standards of dress were still observed: skirts at mid-calf and not an inch shorter, any make-up was intolerable.  No gentleman callers were welcome.  Classes began at nine o'clock with the assembly, students seated at their desks which held their books and belongings....  There was a smoking room for male faculty only; a few women teachers puffed secretly in their private offices."
 

To Enrich and To Serve


      Dr. James Dugan, the fifth president (1935-1950), faced the possible closing of the institution, but rallied strong local support to help keep it open.  A delegation of prominent individuals representing Lowell's powerful pressure groups traveled to Boston and convinced State officials of 
the importance of the college.  The result was that the school not only survived but continued to grow and expand. 

     In 1950, Dr. Daniel H. O'Leary assumed the presidency and initiated an ambitious building program.  The physical plant increased from a single building to a multi-building complex close to the old
Normal School, forming an area now called the South Campus of UMass Lowell.  The dedication of buildings named for six presidents was held on     June 9,1974.
 

"O'Leary, however, had his own plans for the transformation of the teachers' college into a liberal arts institution with an education program.  He came with a vision and spent his  presidency fulfilling that vision."
 

To Enrich and To Serve

Top Of Page  Previous Page or Next Page