CENTER FOR LOWELL HISTORY UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS LOWELL LIBRARIES

Home     Digital Photographs     Genealogy Resources     Special Collections     Search
 
WITHIN THESE WALLS:
 
City Library 1893
 
government that we know today.  These changes in political organization are reflected in the physical changes to City Hall.  The original Common Council Chambers have been converted into office space and now house the Department of Code and Inspections. The original Mayor's offices have been divided to accommodate the Offices of the City Manager.

     Despite these changes, the original grandeur of City Mall can still be felt.  The Engineers Office and Office of the City Clerk retain their original functions and much of their historic fabric.  The City Council chambers retains its original finishes and reflects the monumental vision of early city leaders.

     Although the functions of the City Library have changed little through history, the building has seen alterations.  In 1915, a disastrous fire destroyed much of Memorial Hall.  When it was reconstructed, murals of significant military events and additional stained glass windows were installed.  In 1981, the City Library was named the Samuel S. Pollard Memorial Library in honor of the late Mayor and, in 1990, plans began for the restoration of the Library to accommodate modern operations.

Top Of Page   Previous Page or Next Page