Home Digital Photographs Genealogy Resources Special Collections Search
|"Lowell's Garden of Eden:"
Pawtucketville has been a Lowell neighborhood since its annexation to the City of Lowell in 1874. Yet the early modern history of this "neighborhood" began in 1668, one hundred and fifty eight years before the birth of Lowell. What is today Pawtucketville was originally known as Drawcott upon Merrimack and the area abounds with physical traces of the past. Situated on the north side of the Merrimack River, around the outside bend of the Great Bunt and spreading in a northwesterly direction from the central city, Pawtucketville has historically been a relatively remote area. A 1959 Lowell Sun article designated Pawtucketville "Lowell's Garden of Eden."
The character and history
of Pawtucketville was influenced by two significant features: the Merrimack
River as its geographical boundary and Pawtucket Falls, an ancient gathering
place for Native Americans. The Pennacooks called this place where
the river exposed ancient bedrock, Pawtucket or "place of loud noise."
In May of 1653, the Massachusetts Bay General Court granted the Pennacook
people a tract of land on
Top Of Page Next Page