CENTER FOR LOWELL HISTORY UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS LOWELL LIBRARIES

Home     Digital Photographs     Genealogy Resources     Special Collections     Search
 
ONE MAN'S LEGACY
 
September 5, 1838 and began working for E. A. Staniels when he was fourteen.  He was later taken on as a partner and, upon the death of Staniels in 1861, became sole proprietor of the drugstore.  Nine years later he formed a partnership with Freeman Shedd.

     The up-and-coming firm of E. W. Hoyt, purveyors of Hoyt's famous German cologne, was one of the first firms to use advertising cards.  Freeman Shedd designed the labels and wrote the copy.  The distribution of the "cologne card" was a clever advertising strategy and soon their product had spread beyond the city of Lowell and the state of Massachusetts.  Their partnership soon outgrew the confines of the drugstore and a four-story brick building was erected on Middlesex Street expressly for the purpose of manufacturing cologne.  By 1877, Hoyt's German Cologne had found its way across the nation and around the world.  Freeman Shedd was thirty-three years old and already on his way to becoming a 19th - century entrepreneur.  In 1884, a larger brick facility was erected at the corner of Church and George Streets.

His Family

     Freeman Shedd had married Amy Rowe and of the Shedds' three children, two did not survive childhood.  Their daughter Mary Belle, born in 1874, never married.  Their first child was still-born. A son, Eli Hoyt Shedd (named after his father's dearest friend and partner), was born April 10, 1876.  He died at the age of eight from cerebro spinal meningitis.  A small receiving chapel was erected in his memory by his parents and can still be seen in the Lowell Cemetery on Lawrence Street.

The "Twin Mansions of Cologne"

     In 1875 Freeman Shedd and Eli Hoyt moved to their "twin mansions of cologne" on Andover Street.  These prosperous local businessmen were only thirty-one and thirty-seven years old, respectively.  They helped design the houses on approximately 60,000 square feet of property previously owned by Samuel Lawrence.  The houses were constructed by Samuel Wilkins of Newburyport, Mrs. Hoyt's brother-in-law.  The design was Mr. Shedd's - two magnificent homes, each the mirror image of the other.  They

Top Of Page    Previous Page or Next Page