Home Digital Photographs Genealogy Resources Special Collections Search
| By the 1920s, four of
the five surviving boardinghouse rows were still being operated as private
lodging houses. The fifth building, which can be seen in the distance
in the early photograph, had been severely altered and converted to industrial
Around 1950, the four relatively intact boardinghouse blocks were demolished and paved over for parking. Only the forlorn remnant of the original boardinghouse block No. 7 remained. With its gable roof and chimneys gone and windows blocked up, it was virtually unrecognizable.
During the 1980s, the exterior of the sole surviving Boott Mills boardinghouse was reconstructed in order to exhibit the appearance of this important class of historic buildings of which few survive. On the interior and in an addition behind it, a completely new facility, the Mogan Cultural Center, houses a historical library, an immigrant and mill girl exhibit, and a continuing education facility. Immediately in front of the Cultural Center, on a former parking lot, Boarding House Park has been developed. The park contains an outdoor amphitheater and pavilion for the performance of musical and stage events.
When the Singer Company moved into the building in 1960, an aluminum and plate glass storefront replaced the earlier wooden framed system and aluminum paneling covered the original cast-iron columns.
In a 1982 remodeling, all the aluminum coverings were removed, revealing the original cast iron columns, including the prominent circular one at the corner, and a new wooden storefront was installed.
Top Of Page Previous Page or Next Page