Home Digital Photographs Genealogy Resources Special Collections Search
| After the fire at Barristers'
Hall, the building's owner, a clothing merchant named Joseph A. Chalifoux,
erected the site's third structure - the Colonial Building. Chalifoux
was a clothing merchant who earned $5 a week before opening his own Merrimack
Street store. Although Chalifoux constructed this five-story corner
structure as a department store, he did not move his own business to this
location. Instead, he leased it to a five-and-ten cent store.
His son moved the business to this site three years after Chalifoux's death.
Over the years, the facade of the Colonial Building underwent at least two remodelings, during which the first floor entrance was moved from the comer to the Merrimack Street facade and aluminum storefronts were added. In a 1991 rehabilitation, the entrance was returned to the corner and the storefronts were replaced with more historically compatible wooden ones.
The right section of the building was constructed around 1874. It housed a confectionery and a restaurant before it became the Railroad National Bank in 1896. While the bank added a fifth floor and remodeled the facade, the upper stories of the bank portion remained different from the rest of the structure.
When the Jordan Marsh department store moved to the building in 1976, the facades and window glass of all three sections were painted white and a sidewalk canopy was built along the entire Merrimack Street side of the building. In 1986, both the paint and the canopy were removed, revealing the earlier architecture beneath.
There were originally five windows on the second floor of this building. When the building underwent modernization, these window openings were altered and later bricked in. Other changes included the painting of the red brick facade white, and the installation of plate glass and aluminum storefronts.
Top Of Page Previous Page or Next Page