|previous experience managing breweries, and Walter Blumenthal,
a senior partner in a New York City banking firm. The syndicate's
search brought them to Lowell, where Walter Guyette convinced
Lange and Blumenthal to buy the dormant Harvard plant in
December of 1932. The Harvard Brewing Company was reborn
with Lange as president, Blumenthal as treasurer and Guyette
named as a director.
When word spread that the brewery was to resume
over 500 men showed up to Payton Street looking for work.
Although the job seekers could not be employed immediately,
President Lange instructed the watchman to take everyone's
name promising that former Harvard workers would be rehired
when the refurbishing of the brewery started. From March through
September of 1933 the Harvard plant underwent a complete
modernization at a cost well over $200,000. Besides providing
jobs to brewery workers, the return of Harvard created a small
economic boom for local businesses who received the building
contracts and for the city which collected substantial taxes and
The company's large investment provided Harvard with
advanced brewing machinery available including a complete
bottling production line which mechanically washed the bottles,
filled them with brew, capped them off, pasteurized the product
and labeled the containers automatically. When, in September
1933, Harvard officially opened the bottling house, the brewery's
capacity reached 1,000 barrels of beer a day. The return of Doctor
Juerst as brewmaster ensured that the product was of the same
consistency and flavor as before prohibition and contributed to the
success of sales.
Harvard's only brand at first was the Green
which was widely advertised and distributed throughout the region.
The summer and fall of 1933 saw a backlog of orders
for the Green Label beer being built up, keeping the brewery
at maximum production. To meet the large demand for Harvard's
product other labels such as Harvard Full Stock Ale,
Export Beer and Porter were marketed. As a sign of loyalty
and good business sense, Harvard maintained a policy of
filling orders for Lowell clubs and distributors before others.