"THE TRUE STORY OF FATHER JOHN'S MEDICINE"
|doors of St. John's hospital operated by the Daughters of Charity opened.
Here medical care was available to many more than before.
This was also the time of flagrant anti-Irish
and anti-Catholic sentiment. On more than one occasion the parish
was threaten with violence. Twice the convent and school were visited by
political committees who took it upon themselves to investigate supposed
atrocities. Both times the O'Briens were summoned. Father
threatened the visitors not to harm the Sisters. Troughout these
visits the work of building the community continued.
Barely a St. Patrick's Day went by when toasts
were not given to the Fathers O'Brien and all the
work which they were credited. Their job of instilling religious
zeal to a group who faced the task of providing for there own immediate
needs was not easy. There own example served as the best teacher.
Together the O'Briens formed St. Patrick's in the image they has envisioned.
In 1855 Timothy O'Brien suffered from a bout of pneumonia and died.
The local paper wrote of his passing and of the work he did, something
not done for many Irish at this time. His funeral took place at the
large granite-structure which had replaced the crumbling wooded church
built in 1831. The church had been dedicated just the year before
and he was interred in the churchyard.
Father John's work had to continue and he would
have a number of years remaining at St. Patrick's before his death in 1879.
Father Michael O'Brien, a nephew of John and Timothy, came to assist his
uncle. It was during this time that properties were built and
support societies were formed. The number of Irish grew as well.
The Girls' School had added an academy for boarders. Its reputation
spread far obtaining students from many areas. The Xaverian Brothers
were brought in to teach the boys. The Working Girls Home was added
for those young women who wanted a
Top Of Page Previous
Page or Next Page