|Allen (Charles Herbert) Collection
This photograph collection is from the Walter E. Hayes Photograph Album.
During the early 1900s, Walter Hayes was the chauffeur and groundskeeper
of Governor Charles Herbert Allen’s residence “The Terraces” on Rolfe Street
[now: University of Massachusetts Lowell, South Campus]. Governor
Charles Herbert Allen represented Lowell in the U.S. House of Representatives
from 1885-1889. In 1899, President McKinley appointed Allen as the
first Civil Governor of Puerto Rico.
American Association of University Women
The collections contain the 1930-1999 records of the Lowell Chapter
of the American Association of University Women, Massachusetts State Division.
Ames (Bulter) Collection
Butler Ames (1871 – 1954) was born in Lowell, the son of General Adelbert Ames and the grandson of General Benjamin Butler. He was a politician, soldier, engineer, inventor, and businessman. He held the offices of alderman of the city of Lowell, representative in the Massachusetts State Legislature, and congressman in the U. S. House of Representatives. Ames served in the military during The Spanish-American war and World War I, where he was Major General of the Massachusetts State Guard. He was president of the United States Cartridge Company, treasurer of the Heinze Electric Company and the Wamesit Power Company, and vice president of the Ames Textile Corporation.
Jefferson Bancroft was the mayor of the City of Lowell in the 1840s.
He served as Sheriff during much of the mid 1800s. This collection contains
Bancroft’s personal and business correspondence. In addition, there
are a large number of Sheriff's records including foreclosures, auctions,
and other legal actions.
Boston and Maine Railroad Historical Society
In 1978, arrangements were made to house the historic materials collected
by the Boston and Maine (B & M) Railroad Historical Society.
This collection consists of records, periodicals, books, maps, timetables,
and photographs related to New England railroads.
Butler Cartoons and Prints Collection
Benjamin Franklin Butler, 1818-1893, was a lawyer, working class
democrat, northern civil war general, congressman, governor, and presidential
candidate. He was loved and hated often at the same time by the same
people. The Lowell Historical Society has gathered cartoons and prints
from a variety of 19th century magazines.
Camara (Portuguese) Collection
During the summer of 1989, the Camara Family donated a collection of
glass plate negatives. These negatives record life in the Portuguese
Community about 1907. The Center has preserved the original negatives
and published a Portuguese Photographic History. Additional information
available at Center for Lowell Exhibit Portuguese Photographs
and Library of Congress Exhibit
in the United States.
Dow L. Case was an award winning photographer, for the Lowell Sun from
1930's to 1960's. Among the photographs and photo albums in this
collection is an elaborate tribute album to the Lowell Sun staff "who served
in World War II".
Over the years, there have been a number of projects documenting the
gravestones in the Lowell cemeteries. In the 1970s, the Lowell Historical
Society funded the Lowell State College History Club in making Gravestone
rubbings of the slate stones. In 1904 P. Hildreth Parker copied epitaphs
from the Hildreth Burying Ground (Hildreth Street); Old Burying Ground
(Varnum Avenue); Pawtucket (Mammoth Road); Woodbine (West Meadow Road).
The Swain Family have documented many other Northern Middlesex County Cemeteries.
Also visit local cemeteries websites: Lowell Cemetery, Saint Patrick’s
Cemetery and Saint Mary’s Cemetery.
Champagne Brothers Collection
The French Canadian Champagne brothers, Philias, Octave, and Eusebe
settled in Lowell, Massachusetts around 1890. By the early 1900s,
their music was so well known and appreciated throughout New England and
Canada they began publishing and selling it, and the celebrated Eusebe,
violin in hand, became the Strauss of the region. In the late 1970s
the Lowell Historical Society purchased this collection of their sheet
Church of All Nations
Through the Church of All Nations, Reverend Leslie Bockes opened a
summer camp for the children of Lowell. His daughter, Patricia B.
Ingersoll, donated photographs and records of this camp.
John Ingersoll Coggeshall, 1857-1912, was born in Fall River and settled
in Lowell, Massachusetts. He was known throughout New England as
an engraver, photographer, and painter. His daughter donated to the
Center a large number of his photographs and original negatives.
Commodore Ballroom Collection
In the early 1990s, Lowell Historical Society acquired the Commodore
Collection. This collection contains photographs autographed by many
of the Big Bands, 1940s and 1950s sheet music, and business records of
the Commodore Ballroom.
The Community Archives Center's mission is to systematically gather
records and documents generated by community agencies, organizations and
institutions. These materials are then available to support social
and economic development.
Family and friends wrote most of the letters in this collection to
Helen Corliss from 1846 to 1857. There is some additional correspondence
to her father, John I. Corliss, written between 1833-1866. Mr. Corliss
worked at the Lowell Gas Company. Other family members included mother;
brother: Harold G.; and sisters: Sarah Grace, Ellen.
Corporation of Members of Catholic Association
This Franco-American Men's Club, located at 211 Pawtucket Street, was
founded February 7, 1878 and incorporated March 14, 1891. When it
closed in 1993, the donation of their records and archives was arranged
by Armand Mercier and Henri Marchand.
D.A.R. Molly Varnum Collection
In 1996, Molly Varnum Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution
donated its former Chapter House to the Lowell
Parks & Conservation Trust. Included with the donation were
the D.A.R. membership records, were deposited at the Center for public
use. These records provide a rich resource for the study of local
Katherine Kenicott Davis, 1892-1980, was born in Saint Joseph, Missouri
and settled in Concord, Massachusetts. A prolific composer, her most
well known piece is "Little Drummer Boy". This collection contains
her professional papers and music library.
Father John's Medicine Company Records
In the 1860s, Lowell apothecary, Carlton and Hovey, began marketing
a cough medicine developed by a local Catholic priest Father John O’Brien.
This medicine became so popular that the apothecary was renamed Father
John's Medicine Company. In the early 1980s the company was sold
and moved its manufacturing plant to Cody, Wyoming.
Flather / Boott Collection
In 1984, the John Rogers Flather family donated to the Lowell Museum,
to be housed at the University, their library on textiles and the Boott
Cotton Mills Company records from 1903-1954. This Collection is one
of the best examples of a 20th century textile company archive.
Elizabeth Foley, an amateur photographer, spent much of her life photographing
and writing about the community in which she lived. In particular,
her photographs and diaries during the 1950's and 1960's are a remarkable
record of an industrial city in transition.
In 1987, Library of Congress American Folklife Center initiated the
Lowell Folklife Project to document ethnic and multi-cultural life in Lowell.
The Center serves as the local public repository for these recordings,
reports, field notes, and photographs. Middlesex Community College
has developed a cirriculium using some these interviews for Introduction
to Cultural Anthropology: Lowell Immigrant Project.
Franco American Orphanage And School
In 2006, the University of Massachusetts of Lowell, Center for Lowell
History in partnership with the Lowell National Historical Park and the
Franco American School developed the Franco American Orphanage Project.
The goal of this project was to preserve and make available to the public
Franco American Orphanage and School Records from 1908-1972. For
additional information see the Timeline of
Orphanages in Massachusetts and the United States.
French Canadian Collection
This collection of French Canadian literature from Lowell contains
issues of L’Apostolat, a magazine published by Missionnaires Oblats De
Marie Immaculee. There are also pamphlets and program booklets from
Corporation des Membres de l’Association Catholique, Cercle Jeanne-Mance,
Chorale Sainte Cecile and L’Hospice Saint Joseph.
In response to growing demand this genealogy collection was developed.
It contains the Unites States Manuscript Census, as well as the Census,
Birth, Marriage, and Death Records for Massachusetts, local and state insurance
maps, city directories, and town histories. Special projects include
Dracut, Lawrence, and Tyngsboro, Massachusetts.
Grace Universalist Church Collection
Building Committee Correspondence on the building of the church 1895-1896.
Also commemorative booklets.
Gray (Railroad) Photograph Collection
Finley Gray was dedicated to collecting and preserving photographs
related to railways in Massachusetts. This collection contains hundreds
of photographs of locomotives, stations, and railcars from early 1900’s.
Samuel P. Hadley gave to the University a collection of World War I
instructional and propaganda pamphlets from the United States and Britain.
Human Services Corporation
This organization was created in 1970 when the Federal Model Cities
Program ended. In 1995 Human Services was down sized and many of
its records and files were transferred to the Center. These materials
provide a rich source for the study of changes in planning and urban policies.
Through the Immigrant Archives Project, the Center for Lowell History in collaboration with several new research centers will identify and provide online access to resources and special collections in the Libraries at the University of Massachusetts Lowell.
Indochinese Refugee Foundation
A collection of Indochinese Refugee Foundation papers.
Jack Kerouac, 1922-1969, a popular writer, was born in Lowell, Massachusetts
and often returned to visit. This Collection consists of many of
his published works as well as taped interviews with boyhood friends, family
members, and colleagues.
Knapp (Chauncey) Collection
The Knapp Scrapbook on deposit at the University by the Lowell Historical
Society consist of correspondence, speeches, and newspaper clippings gathered
by Congressman Chauncey Knapp who represented Lowell in the United States
House of Representatives, Massachusetts (1855-1859).
This collection of 19th century family papers was donated to the Lowell
Museum, to be housed at the University. Most notable are the papers
of Jefferson Bancroft, local businessman and city official; and Channing
Whitaker, MIT faculty member and engineer for Lowell Machine Shop.
Lowell Central Labor Council/AFL-CIO Collection
In the early 1980s, the Lowell Central Labor Council donated their
archives to the Center for Lowell History. These archives contain
the business records and papers of several unions from 1899 to 1978.
These unions represent Barbers, Carpenters, Building and Construction Trades,
Electrical Workers, Machinists, Plumbers and Steam fitters.
Lowell City Atlases and Maps
Atlases show lots, buildings and property owners and are available
for 1879, 1882, 1892,
1906, 1912, 1914,
1924, 1936, and 1977. There
are additional Lowell Maps showing some buildings, wards, and streets for
1866, 1878, 1888, 2004,
Geographic Information System.
Lowell City Engineer's Collection
In 1990, the City Engineer's Office donated to the Center a collection
of nearly 3,000 photographs and negatives of Lowell. These early
20th century photographs provide a detailed view of almost every street
and neighborhood in Lowell between 1910-1938.
Lowell City High School Collection
The Lowell High School placed a small photographic collection on deposit
at the Center for public use. These photographs document many of
the sports and educational activities sponsored by the High School in the
Lowell City Water Board Commission
Lowell Museum rescued these records of the Lowell Water Works in the
late 1970's. These incomplete records cover the period from 1870
to 1945. They include Water Board Commission Reports; payroll records;
extension, conveyance and application records.
Lowell Commission of Handicapped Affairs Collection
Donated by Ms. Mann, former member of the Lowell Commission of Handicapped
Affairs. This Collection is an archive and a resource on Handicapped
issues in Lowell and Massachusetts.
Lowell Corporation Hospital Association
The following is an index of the Lowell Corporation Hospital, Patient
Register, 1840-1887. The register contains about 4,250 records.
Most of the patients are women who work for one of the major Lowell textile
companies. They come from all over New England, as well as Canada, England,
Scotland, Ireland, and other parts of the United States.
Lowell Historical Society
For many years the manuscripts, photographs and books collected by
the Lowell Historical Society were locked up in rooms at the Lowell Public
Library. The University agreed to house and catalog these materials
and make them available to the public.
Lowell Institute for Savings Collection
Lowell Institute for Savings 1829-1992 was one of the earliest savings
banks established in the United States. When the LIFS was closed
by federal authorities, hundreds of ledgers and files were were donated
to the University. Including Lists of Depositors; bank records, directors'
minutes, and correspondence.
Lowell Museum Corporation Collection
When opened in 1976, the Lowell Museum received many donations of photographs,
manuscripts and company records. To provide public access, many of
these items were transferred to the University The emphasis
of this collection is on immigration and textile technology.
Warren H. Manning, 1860-1938, a landscape architect of national importance,
was based in Billerica, Massachusetts. This collection contains correspondence,
business records, writings, photographs, journals, and diaries pertaining
to over 1600 clients in the United States.
See Also: Iowa State University - Warren
H. Manning Landscape Architectural Collection; Manning
(Warren) Project by Library of American Landscape History; and Also:
Harvard University Frances Loeb Library.
Manning Association Collection
Manning Association of America gathers and preserves documents and
artifacts related to the history of the Manning Family in the United States.
In the late 1960's the Association transferred some of the collection to
the university to provide accessibility.
Massachusetts Mills Drawings
A collection of architectural and engineering drawings of the Massachusetts
Mills was salvaged and donated to the Lowell Historical Society.
These plans depict changes and renovations made to the Massachusetts Mills
in the 1920's.
Meehan (Martin Thomas “Marty”) Archives
This Marty Meehan Archives is located in O’Leary Library at the University
of Massachusetts Lowell. The collection consists of office files,
presidential correspondence, constituent casework, photographs, and videos
generated during Congressman Meehan’s service in the United States House
of Representatives, Massachusetts Fifth District (1993-2007).
Middlesex Canal Association Collection
In 1962, the Middlesex Canal Association was organized to preserve,
protect and restore as much of the remains of the Middlesex Canal as possible
for the public's enjoyment. This collection includes paintings, maps,
and documents that are housed at the Center.
Middlesex Canal Company Collection
In the mid 1970's the Middlesex County Court House, Cambridge, Massachusetts,
transferred all of the records of the bankrupt Middlesex Canal Company,
1793-1853, to the University. These records include correspondence,
ledgers, receipts, and invoices.
Middlesex Company Records
The Middlesex Company was a woolen textile company established by the
Lawrence Family in the 1820s. In 1850s, Benjamin F. Butler purchased
the Middlesex Mills. This was one of the few textile companies to
thrive during the Civil War by supplying military contracts for blankets
and uniforms. The Middlesex Mills were demolished in the 1930s.
Middlesex Mechanics Association Records
A men's organization formed to support and promote the science and
education of mechanics in Lowell. Members included mechanics, businessmen,
and community leaders. They sponsored a lecture series for men and
women that brought the best minds in the country to speak. Their
library formed the basis of the Lowell Public Library.
Middlesex Village School Records
Middlesex Village was named for Middlesex Canal, a transportation canal
originally part of Chelmsford, Massachusetts. This area was annexed
as part of Lowell. This collection contains business and attendance
records of this neighborhood school that closed in the early 1980's.
Marion Morse was Librarian for the Lowell Historical Society.
This collection consists of a variety of materials from family papers to
general popular ephemera related to the history of Lowell from early 20th
The Center has developed a significant collection of 19th and 20th
century Lowell, Massachusetts newspapers. The majority of the collection
is available on microfilm. Unfortunately none of these newspapers
have a general index. Volunteers have prepared special birth, marriage,
and obituary indexes - see Vital Index.
Also the University
of Massachusetts Lowell, Libraries website is a large number of indexed
newspapers, including the Lowell Sun. To access these newspapers:
if you are a student or member of the University Community these newspapers
are available online, otherwise you may use the public computers at any
one of the three UML Libraries.
Department of Nursing and Sigma Theta Tau, Eta Omega Chapter established
this collection to support and promote the study and research of heath
care. Collection contains records and archives from area hospitals,
health agencies and health professionals.
Olney (Textile) Collection
In 1963, Professor Louis A. Olney donated his library of textile chemistry
books and periodicals. Additional books and periodicals on textiles
and related topics have been brought together forming a strong collection
on the history of textile technology.
Oral History Collection
Technology has changed the way people communicate and new methods of
capturing this information have been developed. One method is tape-recorded
interviews. The Center has coordinated dozens of "Oral History" projects
on Lowell resulting in hundreds of interviews.
There are over 40,000 historic photographs and glass plate negatives
in the collections. To improve their management and accessibility
the photographs are physically separated from their original collection
in order to prepare extensive subject, name, and geographic indexes.
Proprietors of Locks and Canals Collections
Proprietors of Locks and Canals provided the engineering skills, capital
and managerial knowledge to build a complex canal system. In the
1950's, the Proprietors donated much of their technical library, architectural
and engineering drawings and photographs to the University.
Raymond Riddick, Sr. played football for the Green Bay Packers and
coached Lowell High School football. He was recognized as one of
the finest high school football coaches in the country. His personal
papers, photographs, scrapbooks and playbook were donated by his family.
Rogers Hall School for Girls
In 1975, The Rogers Hall School for Girls closed. The trustees
donated school yearbooks, journals, bulletins, registers, scrapbooks and
a large quantity of photographs to the Lowell Historical Society.
These materials are housed at the Center for Lowell History.
Russell (George) Collection
George Russell was an early 20th century commercial photographer based
in Lowell. He was known for large, panoramic, group photographs.
He traveled throughout New England photographing class graduations, group
outings, conventions, social events, and fraternal, military, and union
organizations. In the 1990s, his estate donated to the Lowell Historical
Society, those photographs with Lowell connections.
Tewksbury Almshouse and Hospital History
In 1852, the Tewksbury Almshouse became one of three State facilities
responsible for caring for the rapidly growing number of paupers, who were
part of the unprecedented influx of new immigrants into Massachusetts.
The Tewksbury Historical Society has created an online archive of reports
and primary documents about the History
of the Tewksbury Hospital.
Tewksbury Almshouse and Hospital Records Index
A comprehensive index of the inmate/patient case
histories of the Tewksbury Almshouse
1860-1896 compiled from microfilm available at the Center
for Lowell History. These case histories may contain such information as
the inmate's age, birthplace, information on parents or other family members,
date of arrival in this country, places they have resided, occupation and
reason for admittance.
Tewksbury Almshouse Intake Records [1860- 1884] consist of hand-written interviews with patients at the time of admittance. Funding for this project was provided through a Library Services and Technology (LSTA) grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) awarded by the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners (MBLC) to the University of Massachusetts Lowell Libraries in partnership with the Public Health Museum of Tewksbury. When available, records were scanned from the original almshouse ledgers now owned by the Public Health Museum. In total, 24,000 records will soon be available here from the original ledgers plus another 16,000 from microfilmed ledgers. All records will be searchable by name, age, gender, birthplace, race, and year of admittance. In addition, over 800 alias names have been added and over 600 birth records have been cross referenced with their mother's admittance records.
Tewksbury Almshouse and Hospital Investigation
In 1883, the newly-elected governor of Massachusetts, Benjamin F. Butler
of Lowell, initiated an investigation of charges against the Tewksbury
Almshouse. The Tewksbury Historical Society has created an online Archive
of Newspaper Articles published in the Lowell Sun regarding this investigation.
Almshouse and Hospital Death Records
In Memoriam to the hundreds of former patients, a dedicated volunteer has
carefully gathered deaths records reported to the State of Massachusetts by the
Tewksbury Almshouse and created an online searchable database
Vital Records 1854 through 1905.
Tremont and Suffolk Mills Drawings
A collection of architectural and engineering drawings from early 1900s,
rescued from the Suffolk Mill (now the Wannalancit Mills). Among
these plans and drawings are layouts of new looms and textile machines.
Paul E. Tsongas, born in Lowell Massachusetts,
was elected to the House of Representatives in 1974 and to the Senate in
1978. He left the Senate in 1983 and donated his Congressional
Papers to the University. In 1991, he ran for President of
the United States and his Presidential Campaign Papers
were donated in 1998. On January 28, 1997, eulogies by friends and
family were published in the Congressional
Record. Dissertation by Dane M. Netherton, Washington State
Tsongas and the Battles over Energy and the Environment, 1974-1980". Through a Massachusetts Bureau of Library Commissioner?s
Historic Records Grant, UMass Lowell Libraries has digitized a large portion of the Tsongas Congressional Collection and is
in the process of making the material available online within the university's
Digital Initiative's repository.”
University Archives Collection
State Normal School and Lowell Textile School began in the 1890's.
In 1975, they merged as University of Lowell and were remained University
of Massachusetts Lowell in 1991. These Archives contain photographs,
newspapers, yearbooks and records from these institutions.
Channing Whittaker was an MIT faculty member and engineer for Lowell
Machine Shop. This collection contains personal and business correspondence,
as well as records, papers, and drawings of Whittaker's work at the Lowell