9. Abel Rugg House, 7 Wamesit St., ca. 1822.
Sited on a slight rise of land, 7 Wamesit St. is the
earliest house on Chapel Hill. Early services of the
Baptist Church were held there in 1822-24. 19th
century owners were associated with the paper
and woolen mills on Lawrence
10. Scripture's Bakery, 547 Central St., ca. 1826-31.
Another of the early buildings on Chapel Hill is the
residence and bakery built by Isaac Scripture.
Scripture lived on the upper floors, housing his bakery
in the basement. (A local club has been located here
since 1933.) Broadgable facades are fairly common
on Lowell's Greek Revival houses, but few are
11. Spalding House, 1-3 Centre St., ca. 1837.
Like Scripture's Bakery, the Spaulding House was
used as both a residence and a shop. The topography
of the hill encouraged the construction of exposed
basement shops, with main floors reserved for living
space. The Greek Revival style entry portico, with
its carved capitals derived from the Temple of the
Winds in Athens, is one of the finest in Lowell. For
much of the 19th century, the house was occupied
by the Spalding family, who had substantial real
estate holdings in Lowell.
12. Central Street.
Among the early residences of Chapel Hill are
traditionally-styled double houses sheathed in brick,
clapboards or both materials. Similar house setbacks,
siting and architectural scale provide visual continuity
and elegant entry porticoes carried by fluted columns
also enhance the street.