7. View Looking West from Chapel Street.
From the top of Chapel Hill it is possible to view landmarks
and natural features in several directions. The towers of the
old courthouse (1850) and St. Peter’s Church (1892-1900),
the parish of many neighborhood residents, are visible to the
west, while to the east Fort Hill Park can be seen. For many
years, the towers and buildings of the city's cotton mills were
a familiar sight to the north.
8. 573 Central St., 1870s.
Throughout the 19th century, fences were a common part
of the landscape. Originally constructed for utilitarian
purposes, primarily to keep animal out of gardens, in the
city they became equally important for aesthetic reasons.
Iron fences were used almost exclusively in urban areas,
as a railing along stairs or balconies or encircling a small
front yard. Just as architectural styles changed, fence
patterns varied to reflect the period of the house and the
status of its owner. Also of note is the cast-iron grillwork
on the Greek Revival house at 503 Central.