Detail, 1879 Atlas Page.
This section of an atlas printed for the City of Lowell in 1879
illustrates how densely settled Chapel Hill was by the late
19th century. Most of the buildings were small frame
dwellings, with a few brick structures located along the
major streets. The soap factory near North Street was the
only non-textile industry in the neighborhood. Note the
narrow courts leading from Charles Street, allowing access
to buildings erected on rear lots. A row of similar houses
erected after 1845 Locks and Canals land auction can be
seen on Walnut Street.
5. Cady Street.
A network of short narrow cross streets lined with houses
abutting the sidewalk connects the main north-south arteries
of Chapel Hill (Lawrence, Central, Chapel and Gorham
Streets). Many of these were in place as early as 1832,
and much of Chapel Hill’s uniqueness is derived from
these early pedestrian-oriented passageways.
6. Hosford Square.
At the junction of Mill, Wamesit, Elm, Richmond and
Central Streets is Hosford Square, named after Hocum
Hosford, a prominent mid-19th century Chapel Hill
Resident. The square offers welcome open space amidst
the tightly built-up streets. Along its perimeter are
examples of every architectural style in the