The streets of Chapel Hill were seldom built up at the same
time. In a single block, mill workers's Greek Revival Style
houses from the 1830s and 1840s, high,-styled Italianate,
and Second Empire merchants's houses erected mid-century
and Queen Anne multi-family dwellings built for the families
who lived in Chapel Hill during its last period of growth can
all be found.
In addition to the many interesting architectural details crafted
by local builders, there are other features of the Chapel Hill
landscape to notice. Building stone from local quarries and
canal beds is visible in walls and foundations. Ornamental
ironwork can be seen on roofs and fences. Natural features,
including old trees, and the Concord River and views from
the higher elevations in Chapel Hill, are also part of the
1. Detail, 23 Ames St., ca. 1840.
The only stone residence - Chapel Hill, 23 Ames St. was
built of cut granite blocks with rubblestone infill. Although
the granite was probably hauled from a nearby Chelmsford
quarry, the rubble stone was obtained during excavation of
Lowell’s canal beds.
2. Concord River from Lawrence Street.
The Concord River bounds the eastern edge of Chapel Hill,
shortly before it empties into the Merrimack River. Long
the site of water-powered mills, the river is a major visual
asset to the neighborhood. Yards and gardens of
Lawrence Street houses mark the former sites of grist,
paper, and cotton mills.