24. Richmond Mill Storehouse, Lawrence St., ca. 1850.
The Concord River was exploited for water power even
before the textile mills were established in the 1820s. This
rubblestone building was the storehouse for Richmond's
paper and cotton batting mill. Note that although the
rubblestone is carefully laid in horizontal courses along the
front of the building, the sides and rear are constructed of
randomly laid stone. Nearby, at 224, 228 and 310-326
Lawrence St., are dwellings built to house some of the mill's
25. 44-48 Elm Street ca. 1900.
3 or 4 story frame structures with low-pitched gable or
flat roofs replaced lower-density mill workers' dwellings
in the late 19th century.