CENTER FOR LOWELL HISTORY – UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS LOWELL LIBRARIES

Home     Digital Photographs     Genealogy Resources     Special Collections     Search
 
CHAPEL HILL
 
Hocum Hosford house
   
  20.  Hocum Hosford House, 574 Central, ca. 1856. 
During the 1850s, successful merchants erected elegant 
Italianate residences throughout the city.  Hosford's house, 
with its handsomely carved double doors and columned 
portico, is among the most stylish on Chapel Hill.  Founder 
of Lowell's largest dry goods store, Hosford also served as
mayor from 1862-64 and erected the Masonic temple on 
Merrimack St.
 
 
 

  21.  Cottage Street School, Chapel St., 1858. 
When the Cottage St. School was built, there was 
considerable public concern about providing adequate 
school yards to avoid turning " the scholars into the 
public street".  Both the Cottage St. and Pond St. 
School, erected the same year in Belvidere, addressed 
this need. These are the oldest surviving primary school 
buildings in the city.
    

    
Cottage Street School
   
[ Top Of Page ] [ Page 11 ] or [ Page 13 ]