15. Colburn School, 122 Lawrence St., 1840.
The oldest school building still in use in Lowell, the
Colburn School was designed by a local school
principal. Like other schools of the period, it
contained a single school room capable of holding
200 students and two recitation rooms. Its simple
Greek Revival form was the traditional style used
for Lowell's public buildings during the 1830s and
1840s and can also be seen in the Old Market
House, Franklin School and Old City Hall.
16. 412 and 414 Gorham St., 1840s.
In the 1840s the Greek Revival style was used
almost exclusively for worker's houses. Gable-
end siting (the narrower end of the house facing
the street) was ideal for long, narrow city lots,
and improved building technology made
standardized mill work available to owners of
all income levels. The recessed entrance of the
house on the left has retained its trabeated door
17. William Nichols House, 11 Centre St., 1841.
The two story, full-width columned portico of this
house makes it one of the area's finest works of
architecture. Of all the various forms the Greek
Revival style could take, this most closely resembles
the Greek temple from which the style originated.
William Nichols, the first resident, was the
prosperous owner of a grocery store which stood
at the corner of Central and Church Street.