UMass Lowell Libraries is offering free trial to the State Stats, a new database resource from the CQ Press Electronic Library. Trial access runs through April 6, 2012.
State Stats features data from more than 80 different government and non-government sources and backed by a rich collection of more than 2,000 current and historical data series on popular topics of research interest. State Stats uniquely allows users to discover, view, and export key information measures for the 50 states and the District of Columbia.
The real benefit of State Stats is in its ease of use and clean and concise presentation of data and trends. users easily browse by state or by topic, and then compare across states or across time. Users can then share, save, and export data. State Stats also features CQ Press’s CiteNow!® function for generating source citations in APA, MLA, Chicago, or Bluebook styles. Available features:
- Analyze data patterns by comparing across states, data series, and time
- Create and export custom visuals including line charts, scatter plots, and maps
- Generate tables and download data for statistical research
- Toggle user display between interactive visual and tabular data view
- Engage a moveable timeline to discover trends
- Explore interactive maps featuring zoom and hover functions
State Stats provides one place for annual measures dating back more than 15 years. Numerous topics are covered in categories including:
- Crime and Law Enforcement
- Employment and Labor
- Geography, Energy, and the Environment
- Health and Medicine
- Social Welfare
- Taxes and Government Finance
- Teaching and Education
State Stats is cross-searchable with other CQ Press online products including CQ Researcher and the CQ Press Political Reference Suite. Also provided is the optional advanced State Stats Data Cart that allows for bulk data export across single-click download of complete data series and multiple series.
Access to this trial is available through the library’s New Database Trials and Subscriptions webpage.
Please post comments concerning any aspect of this trial; it aids significantly in our decision-making process.