Paratext is providing UMass Lowell with trial access to their Reference Universe service through December 10, 2010.
Reference Universe is a database of article titles, keywords, and index terms from a core collection of reference materials such as encyclopedias, dictionaries, and almanacs. It brings together links to all major and minor electronic reference works, as well as a complete index to UML Library’s printed subject encyclopedias, compendia and handbooks. Reference Universe contains more than 25 million citations to nearly 40,000 electronic and print reference works.
Just last month Reference Universe released a new interface that added significant changes to the Reference Universe design to make it more intuitive and useful.
Some of the changes include:
- A ‘Location’ snapshot, showing results in both e- and print form instantly.
- New, faceted search options permit refining your query further through LC Subject Headings.
- Modified organization of citation data, resulting in more intuitive use of the database.
- A new Quick Guide to give an overall snapshot of how the service works.
- Book covers to give context to the result sets.
- The ability to export results sets more quickly.
For more information about Reference Universe, visit the Paratext Support Site.
Please leave comments. They help greatly in our decision making.