Films On Demand allows you to view streaming videos from Films Media Group anytime, anywhere, 24/7! Choose from nearly 18,000 educational titles in dozens of subject areas. Special features allow users the ability to organize and bookmark clips, share playlists, personalize folders and manage their entire collection through an administrative reporting system.
Ebrary has recently added over 3,800 scholarly titles to its subscription database, Academic Complete, from over 150 prestigious publishers including University of North Carolina Press, De Gruyter, Oxford University Press, University of Pennsylvania Press, I.B. Tauris, and many more! Academic Complete now includes a growing selection of more than 84,900 e-books.
ebrary has also added 850+ backlist titles selected from featured lists such as CHOICE Outstanding Academic Titles and Doody’s Core Titles. The addition encompasses over 50 publishers like Oxford University Press, ASCD, Kogan Page, Royal Society of Chemistry, and University of California Press.
And… Wiley E-books Coming to Academic Complete Soon
ebrary recently began offering downloads either of book chapters as PDFs or entire ebooks in digital format using Adobe Digital Editions (requires Adobe installation).
- Create an image PDF of a specific chapter or page range
Learn more: http://support.ebrary.com/?p=655
- Same page limits as for printing
- Accessible on most computers and devices, including the Kindle
- Additional (free) software is typically not needed
- Files do not expire
- Image quality for image PDFs was recently improved, but the tradeoff was to add a watermark. This is consistent with the approach used by other ebook providers when an unsecured PDF is provided
- Download an entire document as an e-book in Adobe Digital Editions
Learn more: http://support.ebrary.com/?p=687 Patrons first need to install Adobe Digital Editions on their computer (free online)
- Accessible on most computers and devices, but not the Kindle or Kobo Vox
- Up to 10 documents at a time per patron
- By default, full-document downloading is only available for multi-user documents (not single-user-only documents), but admins can override this setting
- Multi-user documents can be full-document downloaded for 14 days*
The American Chemical Society (ACS) announced today their launch of ACS ChemWorx, a single-source solution that combines reference discovery and management, professional networking, group and task management, and manuscript preparation in a single, secure location, accessible from anywhere.
ChemWorx is available for free use by UMass Lowell users. Simply visit the ChemWorx site and create a free account. The setup requires a plugin installation for Windows, Mac, or Linux. For Windows the plugin consisted of a 17.7 MB download and installation of a desktop library app. The app allows you to import personal publications from Google Scholar or other repositories. You can also import references from a multitude of options such as Mendeley, Endnote, or Zotero. Your desktop information then syncs with the online ChemWorx site.
With ACS ChemWorx, you can…
RESEARCH smarter, by importing and organizing your existing reference library, with the ability to highlight and annotate PDF documents and share them with colleagues.
COLLABORATE with your peers by setting up multiple open and secure groups, with the ability to share reference libraries and files, and manage projects and research activities.
PUBLISH faster, by citing references without leaving MS Word or LaTeX, and track citations to any of your published articles. Once you’re ready to submit a manuscript to ACS Publications for consideration, you can track your progress in the ACS ChemWorx Publishing Center.
View of the online home page and library pge:
As part of an award from NEH and ALA for the Muslim Journeys Bookshelf, UMass Lowell Libraries has been provided a one-year subscription to the Oxford Islamic Studies Online database.
Thanks to Sara Marks, Reference Librarian and Principle Investigator for this award, UMass Lowell is one of over 800 libraries in the U.S. that is receiving access to Oxford Islamic Studies Online along with a collection of 25 books, 4 DVDs, and other programming resources selected to help inform people in the U.S. about Islamic history and culture.
Oxford Islamic Studies Online features reference content and commentary by renowned scholars in areas such as global Islamic history, concepts, people, practices, politics, and culture, and is regularly updated.
The current core content titles include the following:
- The Grove Encyclopedia of Islamic Art & Architecture (March 2009), a three-volume reference work offering the most comprehensive coverage of Islamic art throughout the world, beginning with the inception of Islam and continuing to the present day
- The Oxford Encyclopedia of the Islamic World (March 2009), a new six-volume work covering the full geographical and historical extent of Islam
- The Oxford Encyclopedia of the Modern Islamic World, available in full on the site with access to archived articles that have been updated in the new Oxford Encyclopedia of the Islamic World
- The Islamic World: Past and Present, an accessible A–Z reference covering key people, events and concepts in Islamic history
- The Oxford Dictionary of Islam, in addition to being an integral part of the cross-searchable site content, all 2,500 entries in this authoritative quick reference are free to the public. Anyone can access or cite Dictionary content by using the on-site browse or major Web search engines
- The Oxford History of Islam, a chaptered work containing authoritative essays by leading Muslim and non-Muslim scholars on the origins of the faith, arts, sciences, and history to the present-day situation of Islam
- What Everyone Needs to Know About Islam, a question-and-answer guide by John L. Esposito, in which he responds to the most commonly asked questions about Muslim culture and Islam with thoughtful, unbiased replies
- Teaching Islam, edited by Brannon M. Wheeler for the American Academy of Religion’s Teaching Religious Studies series, this work brings together leading scholars to offer perspectives on how to teach Islam
- Makers of Contemporary Islam, a chaptered work by OISO editor in chief John L. Esposito and senior editor John O. Voll that explores the lives and thought of some of contemporary Islam’s most important thinkers
- Two Oxford World’s Classics versions of the Qur’an: M.A.S. Abdel Haleem’s The Qur’an, a prose translation, and The Koran Interpreted, a renowned verse translation by A.J. Arberry
- Hanna Kassis’ Concordance of the Qur’an
The site also includes a growing Learning Resources area with a specially commissioned A–Z glossary, quick access to the key themes and questions from What Everyone Needs to Know About Islam; specialist-approved links to internet resources; a guide to Teaching Islam; thematic guides to issues in the Islamic World; and The Geography of the Islamic World—a topically organized collection of links to selected chapters and full-color maps from the latest edition of the Oxford Atlas of the World’s Religions—provides access to a global view of Islam from earliest times to the present.
UMass Lowell Libraries has added an annual subscription to the CCH OmniTax Library. The database is now fully accessible by all UML students, faculty, and staff. Links to this new online resource are available from the alphabet index list on the UML Library home page or from the Business Databases page.
The CCH OmniTax Library is a powerful compilation of top-rated research materials that includes CCH’s current and archival Federal and State Tax Reporters.
In addition, the Tax Library features the IntelliConnect search interface that provides functionality to aid and improve information search and discovery.
- IntelliForms — Enables you to locate, view, fill out, save and print over 20,000 federal, state and city tax forms and related instructions, IRS publications and practice aids.
- CCH@Hand — Searches multiple publications from one convenient location.
- Tax Thesaurus — Locates all relevant documents in a search, without the need to enter all the possible tax terms separately.
- Smart Charts — Quickly charts state tax issues in one jurisdiction or compares tax treatments across multiple tax jurisdictions.
- Tax Rates and Tables — Supplies you with all the critical tax rates and amounts you need.
- Depreciation Toolkit — Creates a depreciation schedule for any business asset and provides information on depreciation options.
- Business and Tax Preparation Calculators — Provide quick access to common business and tax computations, including loan amortization, savings bond, mortgage comparison, auto lease/buy, tax rate/phase-out, federal withholding (Form W-4), employee auto inclusion and IRA comparison.
- Interactive Tax Calendar — Creates customized calendars of federal and state tax due dates based on the tax types and jurisdictions you specify.
- Election and Compliance Toolkit™ — Creates customized, filing-ready election and compliance statements to complete your compliance efforts.
- Citator — Tracks the history of cases and rulings through the legal process with just a few clicks.
- Client Letter Toolkit — Quickly finds and adapts appropriate client communications.
- IRS Actuarial Finding Tool — Instantly finds or calculates the exact actuarial factor that you need for valuation purposes.
- ZIP Sales Lookup — Finds state, county, and local sales and use tax rates by ZIP code.
- Unclaimed Property Lookup — Locates detailed information on unclaimed or abandoned property in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.
- Multistate Quick Answer Charts — Provides an efficient starting point for comparing state-by-state issues, and a fast way to check rates, exemptions, taxability or other state tax issues.
For more about using OmniTax and IntelliConnect, please view these short CCH video tutorials.
UMass Lowell Libraries has added a subscription to all 12 INFORMS journals that is now accessible as of January 1, 2013.
The Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences (INFORMS) is the largest professional society in the world for professionals in the field of operations research (O.R.), management science, and business analytics.
What is Analytics?
Analytics is defined on the INFORMS web site as “the scientific process of transforming data into insight for making better decisions…. from wanting to know what it is and how you might use it to improve your organizational goals to applying it to a specific business problem you already have.”
INFORMS Journal List
Access to these journals is available by searching for the titles through UML Library’s eJournal and eBook Search Portal.
Knovel has introduced its new Crude Oil Assay interactive database and is providing it to Knovel subscribers for free access through January 11, 2013. After that date UMass Lowell users will maintain access to the Crude Oil Assay database as part of the library’s Knovel Oil & Gas subject group subscription.
The Crude Oil Assays Database is a unique, interactive compilation of physical and chemical properties covering over 200 crude oils commonly available on the world market. The data will be useful both in understanding how oil properties affect oil behavior in the refinery and in predicting one property value from another. Organized into multiple interactive tables, the database includes:
- Composition and Key Properties
- Kinematic Viscosities
- Hydrocarbon Composition
- SARA Analysis
- Distillation Profile
- Heating and Freezing Properties
- Fuel Indices
Within each table, users can compare multiple crudes against each other and export the properties to Excel or tab-delimited text for further analysis. Columns in the tables can be repositioned to make comparison easier, values can be sorted and the tables can be filtered to hone in on the data most relevant to the task. All properties are disoverable via Knovel’s data search.
Additional features include:
- The ability to compare multiple crudes in a single table
- Coverage of heavy oil and tar sand bitumen
Knovel is a web-based application integrating technical information with analytical and search tools to drive innovation and deliver answers relevant to engineers.
Knovel provides subscribers with access to more than 4,000 leading reference works and databases from more than 90 international publishers and professional societies through a single interface.
Knovel Subject Areas available to UMass Lowell users:
|Adhesives, Sealants, Coatings & Inks|
|Aerospace & Radar Technology|
|Biochemistry, Biology & Biotechnology|
|Ceramics & Ceramic Engineering|
|Chemistry & Chemical Engineering|
|Civil Engineering & Construction Materials|
|Electrical & Power Engineering|
|Electronics & Semiconductors|
|Environment & Environmental Engineering|
|General Engineering & Engineering Management|
|Mechanics & Mechanical Engineering|
|Metals & Metallurgy|
|Oil & Gas Engineering|
|Pharmaceuticals, Cosmetics & Toiletries|
|Plastics & Rubbers|
|Safety & Industrial Hygiene|
|Sax’s Dangerous Properties|
UMass Lowell Libraries has rolled out the use of three Discovery Services from Ebsco Publishing: the Ebsco Discovery Service (EDS), LinkSource, and the A-to-Z Portal. These new features provide a big improvement over similar services the library previously provided.
The Ebsco Discovery Service (EDS) in particular offers far more accuracy, speed, and advanced search options than “360 Search” that the library had been using. In advanced search, researchers can now search within full text and also log in with an Ebsco account and save searches. Additional options are also available to limit search results by publisher, publication type, source type, date, language, or full text.
The search-result page (viewed below) displays the many advantages over the library’s previous program, such as the far richer record display and multiple options to refine results. In addition, users can configure RSS feeds and email alerts.
When a citation is available without full-text, a LinkSource icon directs users to full-text options. This link replaces the previously used “360 Link to full text” icon. It functions the same way as “360 Link” did, linking users directly to full text articles or books if available or to an ILL link for an inter-library loan request if not.
Finally, Ebsco’s A-to-Z Portal is now in use to search for the full-text availability of online journals or books.
All of these services are accessible from the Library’s website home page in the central tabbed search boxes and from the alphabet index. Subject-specific EDS search boxes are also available for quick searching at the top of each of the database subject web pages.
For comments or questions about these new services, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
UMass Lowell Libraries has added ProQuest’s Entrepreneurship database as a new annual subscription database. ProQuest Entrepreneurship offers a multitude of resources for the budding new business startup — from full text articles from top publications to videos, market research, business plans, tool kits, and much, much more.
Also featured within ProQuest Entrepreneurship is full access to the complete Hoover’s Company Profile data.
Included in the Entrepreneurship database is the following content:
- Video Clips: Featuring over 11,000 video clips – many of which contain transcripts for convenient reference and can be downloaded – watch and listen to entrepreneurs give firsthand accounts of their business experiences.
- Market Research: This valuable content contains market and company reports, key financial ratios, demographics, insights, benchmarks, statistics and more.
- Start-Up Plans, Templates and Forms: give users an A to Z approach to entrepreneurship as steps are laid out from concept through management. These tools and can also serve as a checklist of items needed to secure financing.
- Journal Content: Over 300 top publications relating to the practice of entrepreneurship are provided in the form of full journal runs plus selected articles with a weekly refresh from over 11,000 sources.
- Business Cases: Structured plans outlining the feasibility of ideas.
- Working Papers: Future articles which may appear in publications months or years down the road.
- Conference Proceedings: These events reflect the latest in scholarly research spanning all topics.
- Full Text Dissertations: Serve as a springboard for new research and ideas on which to build.
Access to this database and other business resources are available on the Library’s Business Database Subject webpage. Links are also available from the index alphabet list on the website’s home page.